Senior Electronic Engineer – HW DesignApply Now
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Location: Bristol
- Reporting To: Director of Systems & Platforms
- Date Added: March 2021
About Blu Wireless
Blu Wireless is disrupting the market with wireless over fibre level performance that is economically smart and reliably Delivering its intelligent System IP to licensees is at its core, but Blu Wireless has much more to offer – with expertise in everything from chip design, to system and product design. The Blu Wireless team have engineered a managed approach to the technical challenges faced in mmWave carrier-grade applications, such as combatting interference and enabling seamless co-existence.
As trusted partners to some the world’s biggest names in telecoms, Blu Wireless works together with their customers to provide complete design, testing, and validation, serving emerging markets in high-speed transport, niche FWA and broadband.
Based in Bristol, reflecting the city’s friendly atmosphere and proud industrial heritage, Blu Wireless has become the leading vendor in this space. Now with a team of over 90 employees, Blu Wireless Technology is enabling a new era of gigabit connectivity for all.
About the Systems & Platforms Team
The team is responsible for the design and integration of all Blu Wireless platforms, encompassing everything from circuit, PCB design, mechanical assembly design and thermal management, to complete system integration. The team works with external radio partners to evaluate radio performance, integrate radios into the system, and validates the system against requirements. The team is also responsible for developing system and manufacturing tests, ensuring that we have repeatability and reliability across all our customer delivered products through our manufacturing partners.
About the Role
This is an exciting time to join the Blu Wireless team as we embark on an important phase of the company’s long-term goal to be a global player in mmWave technology. We have a unique development program for the rail industry that will deliver high speed internet connectivity to end users, and high-speed transport capability that can be used in V2X or racing environments. Our non-transport products can deliver high bandwidth wireless data in many industry verticals, including Industry 4.0. Our finished products integrate an ARM-based Network Processing Unit (NPU) with Blu Wireless’ baseband technology and a third party’s radio that is capable of providing multi-Gigabit wireless traffic.
You will be contributing to the next generation of multi-Gigabit wireless products, participating in the specification, design, implementation and testing of high throughput systems.
This is an Electronic Design role that requires knowledge of:
- Schematic Capture and PCB layout using Cadence Allegro tools
- Design of high-speed circuits such as DDR4, PCI-E, XFI, 10G ethernet and baseband IQ signals
- Board level and system bring-up, verification and debug
- Knowledge of process and the complete design cycle
- DFM and delivering designs to a manufacturing assembly line
- Manufacturing test at PCBA sub-system level
- The ability to identify issues, debug them and contribute to solutions to problems
Above all, you must be able to demonstrate that you can communicate and work in a team environment to design, develop, evaluate, and continuously improve.
- Other useful attributes:
- Knowledge of RF design
- Knowledge of Mechanical design
- Knowledge of Linux command and shell-scripting, or experience with Python
- Knowledge and familiarity of standards, such as IEEE 802.11ad/ay and 3GPP
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art test equipment, analyzers and oscilloscopes
Your technical abilities:
- You should have a degree in a relevant Engineering discipline with 5+ years of experience.
- You should be familiar with a product development environment, with experience of using engineering tools, and version control document systems.
Your personal qualities:
- You should be a good communicator and a collaborative team member.
- You should be prepared to take responsibility and ownership of tasks and see them through.
- You should have a thorough, persistent, and focused approach to problem-solving.
- You should be enthusiastic about ongoing learning and personal development to improve your technical and non-technical skills and knowledge.
Please fill in the form and attach your CV to apply for this role. Someone will be in touch if you’ve been chosen to come in for an interview.